Since 2018 I have been developing and managing www.neighbourhoodnewsonline.com, a community website for Balsall Heath in Birmingham. Initially commissioned by Balsall Heath Forum, the project has:
- Developed a website from a basic blog into a regularly updated community Directory, Events page and News site.
- Supported this with a strong Social Media presence on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Collaborated with writer and community activist Elisabeth Charis to produce two printed magazines which were distributed throughout Balsall Heath.
- Through a commission from The Active Wellbeing Society developed some ‘Humans of the Heath’ profiles of local residents and people working in the neighbourhood.
- Through a commission from Ageing Better in Sparkbrook supported 12 local organisations who work with over-50s to promote their work through storytelling, photography and film.
- Supported the Covid-19 emergency response through sharing accurate and relevant information on a dedicated Covid-19 page on the site – disseminating information to members of the Balsall Heath Mutual Aid group and local residents.
- Brought residents and people working in the area together as part of an Active Wellbeing Society virtual ‘Big Chat’ on Zoom. The ambition is that this will form the basis of a participatory media project to create a broader editorial voice for the website and include more people in contributing to contributing towards and sharing content.